Slip and Fall on the College Parking Lot, They Won’t Pay


I fell in my Universities parking lot on January 27th. I was walking to my friends car, took a step off the sidewalk and the slush took my foot causing my ACL to completely tear. I went to the doctor 2 days later, got x-rays, then got referred to a orthopedic specialist. He told me I needed an MRI. I got that done and my results came back with a completely torn ACL, and now I am needing to get surgery. However, my University is claiming that they are only going to pay $1,000. My MRI was two times the price of that. My own insurance is out of state and they can’t cover as much as if this happened back home. I feel that since I fell on school property that it is their right to pay for it. I just need some guidance.

Download Our Free Slip and Fall Guide


If it is a public university, then a Notice of Claim must be filed within 90 days of the fall to preserve your right to bring a claim against them.  The University may be responsible for payment of your medical bills, and also pain and suffering if they acted negligently and that was a cause of the fall.  Each circumstance is different, and more specific facts would be required by an attorney to properly assess the potential claim for you.

This legal question was provided by Avvo and answered by Richard Nicotra an experienced Buffalo, NY Slip and Fall Lawyer.  This does not consent an attorney client relationship.

Download Our Free Slip and Fall Guide