Can I Sue a City or County for Injuries?

Attorney Robert Maranto Explains if you can sue a city or county for injuries you sustained in an accident.  Contact one of our experienced personal injury lawyers in Buffalo NY if you were injured.

Download Our Free Slip and Fall Guide

  • You may sue a county or city within New York State; however, you must remember that such cases are governed by New York State’s general municipal law, which provides extra protections to counties and cities.
  • One such protection requires that a notice of claim be filed within 90 days, which sometimes operates as a statute of limitations because if it is not met, your case can lost.
  • Even after the 90-day filing period, the statute of limitations is shorter in these types of cases.
  • Cities and counties are somewhat insulated regarding negligence, so it is important that investigation begin immediately.

Out of Town Resources

We don’t practice in Utah but these Utah slip and fall lawyers have put together some great educational resources for their website.