If your loved one has been hurt due to nursing home neglect, you need to learn what to expect after filing for nursing home abuse. Call us!
1. Mistakes To Avoid in Nursing Home Neglect Cases
The most common mistakes to avoid in nursing home neglect cases are the family’s dealing with the action. They don’t want to believe the worst-case scenario even though the evidence is in front of them. I’ve had a number of clients in the past say, “I wish I had taken photos of those sores or those bruises before they healed up, but because my father or mother is not communicating very well, we didn’t realize that that pattern was actually abuse until it was too late.”
If you have a real strong gut feeling that something is wrong, often you’re right, and it’s at that time that you need to start documenting what’s happening. Start asking the right questions and have your loved one request copies of their own records, so you can get a copy of those things to preserve them. You don’t want them deleted and you don’t want them to disappear.
This may not work or help 100 percent of the time, however, you have the security in knowing that you have these records as they are, unchanged. This gives the you the ability to preserve whatever information or evidence that you might need to show your attorney when you’re telling them what’s happening to your loved one.
2. What To Do When Documenting Injuries
- Evidence should be collected quickly, considering that elders don’t have the best memory skills
- Use your cell phone for pictures, to keep track dates and times, and to record lucid moments
- You want to capture any evidence that you can for the sake of your loved ones
3. Nursing Home Injury and Nursing Home Neglect Law in New York
- There are specific local and federal laws that protect nursing home residents
- Laws are used to protect nursing home residents and to give them compensation
- There are specific actions taken for nursing home neglect
If you or a loved one has been injured due to nursing home neglect or abuse, you should know what to expect after filing for nursing home abuse. Contact our Buffalo Nursing Home Negligence Attorneys today for a free confidential consultation and legal case evaluation. Let our experience work for you.
Download Our Free Nursing Home Negligence Guide
The Personal Injury Lawyers at Andrews, Bernstein, Maranto & Nicotra, PLLC fight for the rights of persons who are injured or disabled. We approach each case on an individual basis and personally assist each client with their unique needs. We are involved in every step of the legal process, and ensure that each case receives the time and effort necessary for success.
Subscribe to Our YouTube Channel